Monday, April 19, 2010

4/19/2010
By: C. Kent, aka (Superman)

Hemet, Ca

When I got up this morning I was still a bit sore from the Century Saturday. I had planned a ride that would allow me to take it a bit easy if I could only stay away from chasing the big dogs. I looked out of my front window and it looked like it wasn’t going to a bad day at all. Once I got to the parking lot my assumption was conformed it was a great looking morning.

My first challenge to taking it easy came right after I left the parking lot. For some reason I got out first and made the light at Florida and it just turned red as the rest of the group got to it. Now picture all of those movies you have seen where a little devil pops up on one shoulder and a small Angel on the other. My little devil was telling me than I could make it to Domenigoni before they could get to Stetson. If I pushed myself I might make warren before they ran me down. My little angel said this was a group ride and I was supposed to take it easy on my tired legs. The little angel won but looking back at the pack I can tell you I know what temptation is.
After we were all on the road together the pace was at least moderate and I wondered if I was going to be able to just hold on to the group. It is funny how the mind works because as we turned off of Kirby and I watched the group pull up on me everyone looked more refreshed than I felt. As we turned onto Sanderson we had already formed a pace line and I could only hope the big dogs wouldn’t put the hammer down too hard before we got to Winchester.
As we turned onto Domenigoni the pace picked up but at least it wasn’t unreasonable so we cruised most of the way to Winchester at about 20 MPH and maybe once or twice a bit faster. Once we got close to Leon some of the people started to line up for the traditional sprint up the Domenigoni saddle. To be honest I seriously considered joining the lead group but I knew I would be paying for it for the rest of the ride. That thought didn’t seem to be on Rocket, Power Surge, Cossack, Hit man or Sidewinders mind as they attacked the hill in full sprint. Once we got to the top we stopped and waited for the stragglers. Once we started down the back side towards the freeway the group started to split up. Tax man turned off at Lindenburger and Duramax, Sidewinder and Jose continued on following Rocket, Jeff, Hit man, Cossack, Quick Sticks, Power surge and Bounty Hunter. Red Rabbit and Wart had turned back on Winchester and would be waiting for us at Chris’s. However we had to make a cleat repair for sidewinder and it took us a while to catch up to the lead group.

After we reconnected at the park on LaLadea it was a quick jaunt passed the ground owl habitat and then over towards McCall. Once we reached the freeway the A group took off again spurred on by Power Surge I believe and there was another mini race up the hill. We regrouped once again and headed down the Hill towards Menifee road where half the group made a left turn and half of the group went onto Heritage and over to Lindenburger.

Some of the riders reconnected on Simpson and raced away back towards Leon and over to Grand. Duramax and I rode with Jose till I got back to Winchester where most of the riders turned for Chris’s. I had an appointment so Jose and I turned for home riding down Winchester to Stowe and finally back to Stetson and home. I had a better than average speed for my 37 miles and my legs didn’t hurt as much as I thought they would. Once I get my hands on another camera I will try to provide better pictures. But for not my cell phone will have to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment